Before we get on with the next fabulous genius I just wanted to say sorry it's been a bit scarce around the ole' blog. We are in the last stretch before Nathan's party so this week will probably be much of the same :) Parties are a lot of work. Toddlers are a lot of work. Work is a lot of work. Pray for me.
On a happier note this week's genius is the sweet and talented . . .
This is a picture of the two of us from the craft retreat we had in March. I'm on the left, Heather on the right. I'm so blessed to have the opportunity to see this girl twice a year :)
When I think of Heather I immediately think "cute" closely followed by happy and sweet. I don't know any other crafter who makes "cute" sing like this gal does. Her cards are always so happy, like little rays of sunshine that brighten your day. You can see her endless shine at her blog Handmade by Heather Ruwe On a personal note Heather is the type of person everyone should have as a friend. She is warm and generous with a wonderful sense of humor. Truly one of the good ones.
Ready to get to know her better?
1. Who are you and where do you live? Hi! My name is Heather Ruwe and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm just a crafty gal trying to spread a little sunshine.
2. How would you describe your style? I would describe my style as colorful, clean, and detailed. It's all in the details!
3. Name one product you're completely crushing on right now? The product I'm crushing on right now is the Ombre inks from Hero Arts. I'm in love.
4. What is was your first crafty purchase? Would you still buy it now? My first crafty purchase was when I worked in a scrapbook store in high school. Eyelets were all the rage back then and I remember buying every color and the tools. Would I buy them now? Probably not but I'm sure they will make a comeback in the future. When they do, I'm ready!
5. What is your current favorite song? My favorite song right now is "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson. I dare you to play it and not dance!
6. Who would play you in a movie? It would be awesome if Drew Barrymore played me in a movie.
7. One random thing about you that people would never guess?People may be surprised to learn that I'm a bad reality t.v. junkie. Housewives of Atlanta, Beverly Hills, New York, anywhere....I'm game. ;)
First, I laughed so hard that Heather said she was trying to spread sunshine and I described her cards as little rays of sunshine because I typed my intro before I read her response :) Heather you're doing it right girl because you're definitely spreading that shine!! Also who doesn't have 565 colors of eyelets?!
Let's get some sunshine shall we?
How can you not smile at this card? Rainbows, clean design, bold black sentiment. It's perfection.
Bam what?! I love the stripes and polka dots that back this adorable little image. The scattering of stars leads you right to the sentiment. AND that's how you pull together a good design!
They look like real donuts! REAL DONUTS!! I love all the dimension on this card. So amazing!
Another shaker. I know, I think it's a conspiracy. My stamps are conspiring against me to get invited to the party with sequins and glitter. Anyone who knows me, should know you can't send me a card with rainbow on it and not know I'm going there. It's happy there. I pulled out the Spectrum set from Paper Smooches immediately.
It became a shaker based on all the gorgeous dimension Heather created with her Donut card. I also colored my pony to look like the My Little Pony Pinkie Pie . . . so ends our My Little Pony lesson for the day. I chose that particular one because she is pink and I wanted to include some pink from Heather's third card.
All the Stamps are from that same Spectrum set. I use scrap paper to build my scenes. Once I'm happy with the layout I stamp and mask it for real. (It's going down for real . .do do do do do do . . .because horns sound like do do do do do do) I colored with copics and then used a black and a white gel pen to add some details. The sentiment was stamped directly onto my acetate cover. Two things: I did change her eye shape to be a bit more feminine. Also, the sun is a solid stamp. I stamped it in light yellow and then outlined it in black to match the rest of my outline images.
I added sequins and some silver glitter to the inside. I kind of wish I would have picked a different color glitter but it's done now. I'm also going to throw this in the hat for Paper Smooches Anything Goes Challenge.
Huge thank you to Heather for participating and to you for popping in to visit!
Don't forget to stop over and see even more of Heather's happy cards!!