Today's card is for the Paper Smooches Designer Draft challenge.
As soon as I saw the sketch I thought of this card Jennifer Mcguire made where her embellishment floated inside a cut out window. It was such a super cool look I knew I wanted to try it but just hadn't found "the" card to use it on. Until this sketch :) You can see Jennifer's card here. It's gorgeous. Duh. It IS Jennifer McGuire's card!!
PLUS, I have been completely oogling the Spectrum stamp set from Paper Smooches.
A wonderful, generous crafty friend decided to play Santa and sent it to me. How amazing is that right?! I knew I wanted to make the unicorn look like the rainbow My Little Pony. My niece is obsessed with them lately and I thought this would be a fun card for her.
I stamped the unicorn once regular and then once using the mirror technique. If you don't what that is I just did a little explanation over at the Create A Smile blog and you can see it here. See I need the reverse image because you can see the image from both sides. I colored my ponies with copics and then trimmed both of them out. I drew a little rainbow on her bootie and added the heart just like her My Little Pony cousin. of coourse I had to add some stardust stickles too. What kind of pony walks around without glitter?! No pony I know.
So here is where this card became a giant PITA.
See in all my excitement I glued my ponies together. BIG NO NO! So then I either had to pry those babies apart or make a whole new one. Yeah, I risked the prying. I'm lazy. There were many expletives. If you know me in real life you can fill in the blanks :)
It turned out okay. Thank God.
Then I cut my window. You cut both pieces together without gluing so they line up perfectly . . .AND my washi tape ripped my front card stock. So then I tried again . . .AND it ripped the back of my card. WHY?! Just WHY?! More expletives.
Finally I got it figured out.
I wanted a background behind my pony but since i was having such fabulous luck with this card already I decided to do it on a separate circle in case I jacked it up and the circles didn't match. It came out fine embossing, masking, and all. Of course it did. I could do it again relatively easily. The top was done with distress inks. The clouds were heat embossed and shaded with copics.
At last, I assembled this thing and that stupid string was a little loose. I decided I no longer had any cares to give and called it finished. lol.
It still looks super cool floating though :)
and here is the spin in motion. Pardon the fantastic quality I did it on my phone.
Pretty, pretty awesome.
Thanks for visiting!!