Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hero Arts Holiday Challenge

These two cards are for Hero Arts Holiday challenge.

I work nights so when I'm driving home in the morning the sun is just coming up. I LOVE how it highlights the tops of the trees. My first card was inspired by it
I first stamped the tree image and masked it off. Then I masked off the triangle shape for the "sunlight." I swirled on broken china distress ink from the top left and the bottom where the tops of the trees would go. I removed the triangle mask and swirled on tumble glass where it was. I used white ink to sponge in the cloud. I used the negative of the stamp image for the "forest." The closet layer is the first and second layer sponged with peeled paint. The furthest layer of  trees is just the top of the tree sponged in with forest moss. I used tumbled glass and a ripped piece of paper to sponge in the shadows of snow. I finally unmasked my tree and colored it in using crushed olive, peeled paint, and forest moss. I added some stardust stickles to the garland and my gems/pearls to the tree. Finally I outlined the snow banks with glossy accents.

A closeup of the tree stickles and gems


onto my second card
First i stamped my tree in Ranger jet black archival. Then I stamped the image on a piece of plastic in faded jeans and "stamped" it to create the reverse image. I used a ripped piece of paper to create the bank by sponging faded jeans on top of it. I used stormy sky to color in the ice. For the sky I used antique linen and brushed corduroy for the outer edges. I swirled on a bit more stormy sky to blend the sky and bank. Last I added burgandy stickles to the tree and outlined the bank with a white gel pen and glossy accents.

Hopefully this inspires you to play with your inks. Sometimes you don't need alot of bulk to have great dimension!

6 comments:

  1. The cards are gorgeous. Love the natural tones and the scenes you've created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, These cards are just stunning. Adore them. Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment you left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these holiday cards are so elegant and beautiful! love 'em.
    thanks for poppin' over to my blog-o and leaving a comment. and thanks for supporting the Caring Hearts Card Drive Blog Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are gorgeous! Love the scenes. So peaceful looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards...great job with the background inking on both! I love the wonderful reflection you created on the second one, amazing!
    bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius! I love your beautiful inking and artistic cards. I'm truly blown away! WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete